Guess what? There's no EDM in this post!!
For those of you who celebrate Christmas, Merry Christmas! For those of you who don't, then Happy Holidays! I hope you all have a great weekend and enjoy some good doujin previews.
[Sense of Purpose] - Piano Works
Genre - Solo Piano, Original
Site | XFD
Wow, what a philosophical circle name. First time I've heard of them, and it seems like it's their first solo piano album as well. It sounds nice, but I don't really have much to say other than that.
[Applice] - 霍香の雛が見せた夢
Genre - Diverse, (Electro) Rock/Pop, Piano, Violin, Orchestral, Symphonic, Touhou
Site | XFD
I have no idea what Applice is, but they've been around since 2010. The main arranger is みっつん, who has done guest arrangements for Pizuya's Cell. In addition, Godwood, the pianist from Pizuya's, is also on this album. Interestingly enough, Taka's guitar work can be found on tracks 8 and 10. Together they have created a very diverse sounding album. Let's actually take a look at each track:
1. N/A, Not part of the crossfade
2. The first thing that came to mind was Meramipop! She has a very recognizable voice in the touhou scene, so it's easy to spot her work.
3. A piano/violin arrangement of Septette by Godwood of Pizuya's Cell. Sounds like his regular piano tracks in Pizuya's albums. Nothing special, and very synthetic sounding.
4. またろう (mataro). I've never heard of her before, and she doesn't seem to have an entry on VGMDB either. She doesn't remind me of anyone in particular, but I'm enjoying her vocals on this track. They work very well with the DnB/rock arrangement of Septette.
5. An arrangement of Lock Girl with Nachi! Who else is genuinely surprised that this track is not by Shibayan?! Not bad... but not as good as something that Shibayan could have done though ;)
6. Another arrangement by Godwood. The arrangement itself sounds good but the synths still haunt me.
7. Okay... this arrangement reminded me of "The Stage is Set" from Final Fantasy 8. Anyone else hear the resemblance? But I feel like there was another track from one of the FInal Fantasy games that sounded like it too, especially around 3:00 of the arrangement. Weird!
8. Futoumeido! This track sounds decent, but I don't see the resemblance to U.N Owen, which this is an arrangement of.
9. Chinese Tea, what a wonderful theme. The vocalist carries the theme pretty well, but I don't know who she is.
10. Another unknown vocalist for me, but hey... the track sounds good, so that's what matters. I'm liking the background instrumentals on this arrangement.
This preview ended up sounding better each time I listened to it. The sound quality of the preview is lacking, but SoundCoud is limited to 128kbps so the full album could potentially sound a bit better. There is a very good variety of vocalists on this album, especially with Meramipop and Nachi on board. I'm liking what みっつん has done with this album, especially over Pizuya's recent works. It's a good combination of symphonic rock and electro.
[Crest] - 虚数の中に月の出づる
Genre - Rock, Electro Pop
Site | XFD
Not as impressive or interesting as Applice's, but still worth a listen. Not really relevant to us listeners, but Crest seems to be working together with Applice at Comiket 89.
[cawa] - cawa의 앨범001: 강아지, 봉제 인형들, 실로폰 소리
Genre - ???
Site | XFD
I... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Modern art in the form of audio. An absolute mindfuck. The whole album is actually up on cawa's website if you want to listen to it.
[Fox Laboratory] - Touhou Gensoukai -Kanjuden no Oto-
Genre - Orchestral, Instrumental
Site | XFD
Now for the real highlight of this post, Yukkie Mizuhashi! I swear, he has never released a bad album in his life. His consistency and work quality is simply unmatched when it comes to instrumental Touhou. Fox Laboratory is what every doujin circle should aspire to be like. If you've never heard anything from Yukkie before, you absolutely have to listen to his work.
His last album from C88, 喫茶白玉楼, had some nice cafe-styled music. It was very enjoyable but in general, I prefer listening to his orchestral works.
This album consists of arrangement from the latest Touhou game, Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom. I can't wait to listen to listen to the full album and finally get to hear what the TH15 themes are like! The preview sounds excellent, just like every preview released by Yukkie in the past. It's a very nice mix of upbeat orchestral arrangements and slower instrumental arrangements. Unlike a lot of Touhou arrangement albums, the tracks sound very whole. It probably helps that there are only arrangements from a single album, but it feels like there's more of a central theme to the album.
So that's it for this post! We've got an interesting album from Applice and a doubtlessly good album from Fox Laboratory. Why the hell did Yukkie change the name of his circle btw? I liked Foxfactory so much better. As for cawa's album... @_@ is all's I got to say.
Comiket 89 is drawing pretty near, but it'll take some time before albums are actually available for download. I'll continue to do previews until albums start to come out, but of course I won't be able to get through every single preview available. If there's a preview that you would like me to check out, please leave me a link or name on the comments below!
Welcome to The Emotional Skyscraper, a blog for touhou/doujin music recommendations, games, visual novels, and other otaku related oddities.
Follow me on facebook/twitter to get updates and new posts!
Looking for album downloads? Check the Blogroll and Links tab for various sources.
Visual Novel: Steins;Gate 0
Games: Atelier Escha & Logy
is a full time otaku & audiophile who enjoys listening to Touhou music, playing doujin games, and reading visual novels. For more information, visit the About page.